Date of Charter

2nd August 1875











Motherwell Masonic Hall

Memorial Stone Ceremony

8th June 1901



Back Row :- Brothers...   J.Frood IPM 573  -  W. McKean IPM 406

Middle Row :-  C. Campbell RWM 573  -   J. Black RWM 406

Front Row:- Baillie A. King  -  Colonel R.K. Stewart   -    Baillie H. Dyer

                   PG Treasurer          RWPG Master              PG Senior Warden


This photograph was taken at the entrance to the Motherwell Town Hall, prior to the Ceremony, and is reproduced from an article in the " Hamilton Herald " newspaper dated 14th June 1901.


This photograph shows the Ceremony in progress, note the consecration vessels.

The cross structure is a simple crane, used to lower the actual stone which is immediately to the left of the Union Flag, and at the S-E corner of the first floor.

The ceremony raised much local interest and the following report is reproduced from The Motherwell Times, Friday 14th. June 1901.




Laying the Memorial Stone


The Memorial Stone of the new Masonic Halls in Hope Street was laid on Saturday last in beautiful weather, by Brother Colonel R.K. Stewart of Murdostoun Castle, Provincial Grand Master of the Middle Ward of Lanarkshire. The ceremony was made the occasion of a brilliant Masonic demonstration, there being a large gathering of Brethren from the town and district in full Masonic costume. Ably assisting the Provincial Grand Master were Brothers Colonel J. Cunningham Kay S.P.G.M., Baillie H. Dyer P.G.S.W., W.Sneddon P.G.J.W., Baillie W.T.Hay Provincial Secretary, Baillie A. King Provincial Treasurer.


The Procession


The procession which was marshalled at the Town Hall by Brother W. McKean, Provincial Grand Marshal, and which was the largest Masonic gathering ever seen in Motherwell, marched by the way of Clyde Street, Merry Street, Dalziel Street, Coursington Street, Park Street, Crosshill Street, Brandon Street and Muir Street to the Halls in Hope Street. The procession which was accompanied by Coltness Iron Works Band was witnessed by large crowds all along the route. When the front of the procession arrived at the building the ranks opened up to allow the Provincial Grand Officials to pass through, and to take up their position near the stone. The musical part of the ceremony was rendered by Brother Burness’s choir, under Brother Thomas Dixon, Brother Burness officiating at the organ. The choir was accommodated on the building convenient to the place where the ceremony was to be performed.


The Ceremony


The Ceremony was opened by the singing of The Kings Anthem by the choir, after which Brother Cowan, architect, on behalf of the building contractor, presented Colonel R.K.Stewart with a handsome silver trowel, also a handsome mallet from the joiners. In handing over the articles, Brother J.L. Cowan referred to the pleasure it gave him to be the medium of presenting the trowel on behalf of the builder who, he was glad to say, was not only a practical mason, but a Freemason. The joiner for the building also desired him to present the silver mounted mallet, made of the wood used in the old building of the Mother Lodge in Kilwinning, and to express the pleasure it afforded him in being able to do so. Colonel R.K.Stewart, in acknowledging the gifts, said that he had much pleasure in accepting these tokens, which would ever remind him of the auspicious events taking place that day. He assured them that he would treasure the gifts as long as he lived, as mementoes of the occasions. The trowel, which was of chaste design, and highly ornamented bore the following inscription;—"Presented to Bro. Colonel R.K. Stewart of Murdostoun Castle, Provincial Grand Master of the Middle Ward of Lanarkshire, by the contractor, on the occasion of his laying of the Memorial Stone of the New Masonic Halls, Hope Street, Motherwell. 8th. June 1901." This was followed by the singing of the One Hundredth Psalm to the tune "Old Hundred", followed by prayer from the Provincial Grand Chaplain. In the cavity in the stone there was then placed a sealed jar containing — copies of the local newspapers, the Motherwell Directory, various coins of the realm, from a sovereign down to a farthing, a photograph of Colonel R.K.Stewart and other Masonic records. The choir having sung the hymn "The Church’s One Foundation", the stone was laid in its bed, according to the rules of Masonry, the various Brethren, according to their office, applying the plumb, the level and the square. Three cheers were then given, and the choir gave a spirited rendering of the "Hallelujah Chorus", after which corn was sprinkled on the stone, and the oil and wine was poured over it. The Coltness band then struck up the "Mason’s Anthem" and other three cheers were given. The Provincial Grand Master then addressed the assembled Brethren. He said that at the request of Lodge "St. John Dalzell" and Lodge "Livingstone St. Andrew", he was there that day from the Grand Lodge of Lanarkshire to lay the Memorial Stone of their new Masonic Halls with the due rites and ceremony of Masonry. It had given them great pleasure to be there that day, at a ceremony that would no doubt do much to further the interest of Masonry in their midst. It had been felt for many years by the Grand Lodge that many Lodges in Scotland had not sufficient and proper accommodation for Lodge meetings. This matter had been before the Grand Lodge for some years now, and when the matter was first considered a recommendation was passed by them that they would extend what help they could in the way of helping to build halls for Lodges. Of course not many Lodges in towns or country places were able to erect a building, whenever the want was felt, free from debt, but when they thought of how much money was spent in rent of halls, they would see it would be an advantage to have halls of their own. It was a matter of some difficulty too, to get money advanced for building of that type, because money sunk in that way did not give a big return. The Grand Lodge had carefully considered the money matter, and while it was thought that in some cases loans might be give from the Grand Lodge, it was agreed that it would be too big a scheme for them to their money to build throughout Scotland. The result was that Lodges were left pretty much to fight for themselves, but he was glad to say that in this province of the Middle Ward there was a great number of Lodges that had the nucleus of a fund to build. It had been left however, to the Lodges in Motherwell to be the first in the Province to build halls under what might be called the new regulations. He thought that the present building was admirably suited for the purpose of Masonic business, with the rooms below for which they would get a rent, and the halls above which would be entirely set apart for the conducting of Lodge business. He thought that he might congratulate them and their architect in carrying out this idea. He had passed many fine buildings that day in Motherwell and he was sure that when the Masonic Building was complete it would be quite an ornament to the town of Motherwell. He was only sorry that the edifice was not in a more central and public part of the town. It was perhaps rather out of the way and the general public would not see a great deal of it. However, much is to be said for the enthusiasm of both Lodges that they were able to get such a building erected. They heard a great deal, and read many articles at the present time, about the decay of British trade, and of how Germany and America were rapidly ousting us in the field of commerce, but he thought if the writers of these article were to pay a visit to our busy town, they would say that we were not going back but still going forward. He had been reading some statistics of Motherwell, which had showed him that the population of our town in 1841 was 726 and in 1851 it was 1274, and if compared the increase in the decade between 1841 and 1851, and that of 1891 and 1901 they would have no doubt that the town of Motherwell was in a very flourishing condition. He hoped that the town would continue to prosper, and that the Masonic Lodges in it would continue to increase and prosper with it. He did not know if whether part of the cause of the prosperity of the town was due to the fact that there were so many Masons in it, and so many of our public men identified with Masonry, but he was sure that the Brethren made as good citizens of a community as those who were not. In concluding, he wished them every success in their undertaking and thanked them for the kindness that they had shown to him. (Applause)

Brother Black R.W.M. 406 and Brother Campbell R.W.M. 573, tendered thanks to Colonel R. K. Stewart for having officiated, after which the provost was called upon to speak. Provost Frazer, in addressing the gathering, said that as one of the public representatives of the town he bode Colonel R.K.Stewart a very hearty welcome to Motherwell. He expressed his hopes that if he was not coming back to lay the stone of another Masonic temple in our town, he would still pay them a visit. They were pleased to see him there that day, acquitting himself of the duties laid upon him so eloquently and loyally, and he (the provost) thanked him very heartily on behalf of the townspeople, for the honour that he had that day conferred upon Motherwell. (Applause)

An interesting ceremony was brought to a close by other three cheers and the singing of "Rule Britannia" by the choir. The procession was then reformed and proceeded by way of Muir Street, to Milton Street, Calder Street, and Merry Street to the Town Hall where a banquet was held, and cake and wine served to the visiting Brethren. Brother John Frood I.P.M. 573 presided at the banquet, and proposed the toast of "The King and Craft" and "Grand Lodge". The following other toasts were duly pledged:- "The Provincial Grand Lodge of the Middle Ward of Lanarkshire" proposed by Brother Falconer, P.M. G.L.I.G., reply by Brother Colonel R.K.Stewart R.W.P.G.M.; "Visiting Brethren" proposed by Brother Baillie Dyer. P.S.W., reply by Brother Smith R.W.M. 471; "Architect" proposed by Brother McKean I.P.M. 406, reply by Brother Cowan I.A., P.M. No.3 bis; "Local Lodges" proposed by R.W.Provincial Grand Master, reply by Brother Black R.W.M. 406 and Brother Campbell R.W.M. 573; "Town and Trade" proposed by Brother Baillie Hay, Provincial Secretary, reply by Brother Baillie King, Provincial Treasurer.



Article reproduced from the " Hamilton Herald " dated 14th June 1901.

( The article has been abridged and Lodge names and numbers corrected)


The New Masonic Hall


Laying The Memorial Stone


Interesting Ceremony


The ceremony of laying the memorial stone of the new hall which is at present being erected in Hope Street, by the two local Lodges of Freemasons, namely - Lodge St. John Dalzell, No. 406, and Lodge Livingstone St. Andrew No. 573 - took place on Saturday last under circumstances of the most favourable description. The procession of representatives from various Masonic Lodges in the west of Scotland, which took place through the principal streets of the Burgh prior to the ceremony, proved one of the largest and most interesting spectacles of the kind that has been witnessed in Motherwell for many a day, while the function itself was one of exceptional brilliance and impressiveness.

The interesting proceedings commenced at three o'clock in the afternoon, when the Provincial Grand Lodge met in the Lesser Town Hall and formally received the deputations from Sister Provincial Grand Lodges. Half an hour later the various Masonic Lodges represented assembled in front of the Town Hall, where they were arranged in processional order according to the custom by the Provincial Grand Marshall, Brother William McKean, Motherwell, who performed his somewhat difficult duty with singular skill and success. On being marshalled the procession proceeded from the hall along Clyde Street, through the Cross, down Merry Street, along Dalziel Street, Coursington Street, Park Street, Crosshill Street, Brandon Street, and Muir Street to the site of the new hall in Hope Street. All along the line of march the streets were crowded on both sides with spectators who watched the proceedings with an intelligent interest. On the arrival of the procession at the Cross, the ordinary Lodges halted and took open order, so that the office-bearers and members of the Provincial Grand Lodge passed through the ranks to the scene of the ceremony, being followed by the other Lodges in their order of seniority.

At the hall a platform of considerable extent had been erected for the accommodation of the Brethren. The first of the Masonic procession to walk up to the platform was the Provincial Grand Architect ( Brother John Young,Coatbridge) who was followed by the other Office-bearers of the Provincial Grand Lodge in the following order:- the Reverend Brother Andrew Robertson ( Hamilton ), Chaplain; Brother John Laurie ( Coatbridge ), Jeweller; Brother Henry Strickland ( Coatbridge ), Senior Deacon; Brother James Smith ( Coatbridge ), Junior Deacon; Baillie Brother Archibald King ( Motherwell), Treasurer; Brother W. T. Hay       ( Hamilton ), Secretary; Baillie Brother Henry Dyer ( Motherwell ), Senior Warden; and Brother W.W. Sneddon ( Coatbridge ), Junior Warden. Then came the Provincial Grand Master Brother Colonel R. K. Stewart, of Murdostoun Castle, Newmains, who took up his position at the table, supported on the right hand by the Substitute Grand Master, Brother Colonel J. C. Kay ( Hamilton ). The remainder of the Grand Masters and Brethren followed in order and took up their position on the platform. A portion of the platform near the table was occupied by Brother J. Burness's choir ( Dalziel Parish Church ) which was under the leadership of Brother Thomas Dixon ( Coatbridge ), Provincial Grand Organist, while Brother J. Burness presided at the organ.

The Provincial Grand Jewels, etc. having been laid on the Grand Master's table, the ceremony commenced with the proclamation of silence by the Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies, Brother James Ramsay ( Airdrie ), after which " The King's Anthem" was sung by the choir. Brother Frood IPM, having, in his capacity as Chairman of the Building Committee, formally asked the Provincial Grand Master to proceed with the ceremony of laying the stone, Brother Cowan, the architect, presented Colonel Stewart with a trowel to perform the ceremony. After the rendering of the 100th Psalm by the choir, a prayer was offered up by the Provincial Grand Chaplain, the Reverend A. Robertson, and then Colonel Stewart called upon the Provincial Grand Secretary and Treasurer ( Messrs Hay and King ) to place the coins and other mementoes in the cavities of the stone, and the architect to bring forward the necessary workmen. On this being done the choir sang "The Church's one foundation", and during the music three distinct stops were made in lowering the stone. Thereafter the Provincial Grand Master walked from the platform to the East of the memorial stone, with the Substitute P.G. Master on his right, while the P.G. Wardens ( Dyer and Sneddon ) took up a position to the West of the stone with the level and the plumb. Everything being in readiness, the Provincial Grand Master said - " Right Worshipful Substitute Grand Master you will cause the various implements to be applied to the stone that it may be laid in its bed according to the rules of Masonry". The Substitute P.G. Master having ordered the Wardens to do their duty, the Provincial Grand Master said - " Right Worshipful Junior Provincial Grand Warden, what is the proper jewel of your office?"   " The plumb " - " Have you applied the plumb to the several edges of the stone?" - " I have, Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master " - " Right Worshipful Senior Provincial Grand Warden, what is the proper jewel of your office?" - " The level " - " Have you applied the level to the top of the stone?" - " I have Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master". - " Right Worshipful Substitute Provincial Grand Master, what is the proper jewel of your office?" - " The square" - " Have you applied the square to those parts of the stone that are square?" - " I have Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master". Thereafter the Provincial Grand Master said - " Having my Right Worshipful Brethren, full confidence in your skill in our Royal Art, it remains with me now to finish this our work". Colonel Stewart then gave the stone three knocks saying - " May the Almighty Architect of the Universe look down with benignity upon our present undertaking, and the edifice of which we have now laid the foundation, with every success".

The completion of the ceremony was signalised by three hearty cheers from all the Brethren present. The choir afterwards gave a fine rendering of Handel's Hallelujah Chorus, and during the music a cornucopia was delivered to the Substitute Provincial Grand Master, a vase with wine to the Senior Provincial Grand Warden, and a vase with oil to the Junior Provincial Grand Warden. At the close of the "Chorus" the cornucopia was handed by the Substitute Provincial Grand Master to the Provincial Grand Master, who strewed its contents upon the stone. The vase with wine was then handed to the Provincial Grand Substitute, and was delivered by him to Colonel Stewart, who poured its contents upon the stone, and the oil in the same manner, saying -" Praise be to the Lord Immortal and Eternal, who formed the Heavens, laid the foundations of the Earth, and extended the waters beyond it, who supports the pillars of nations, and maintains in order and harmony, surrounding worlds. We implore Thy aid, and may the Almighty Ruler of Events deign to direct the hand of our gracious Sovereign, so that he may pour down blessings upon his people; and may his people living under sage laws in a free government, ever feel grateful for the blessings they enjoy".

The ceremony concluded with the playing of the " Mason's Anthem", by the band, after which the Provincial Grand Officers returned to the platform, where they were greeted with three cheers by the brethren. Everyone joined in the rendering of " Rule Britannia", at the close of which the assemblage was photographed for the " Hamilton Herald " Supplement, by Mr. T. Johnston, photographer, Camp Street. Thereafter the company was again arranged in processional order, and proceeded by way of Muir Street, Milton Street, Calder Street, and Merry Street to the Town Hall, where the Lodge was closed in due form. The bands which accompanied the procession were the Coltness Silver Band, and the Motherwell Town Silver Band both of which more than maintained their reputation for first class music. The total number of Masons who took part in the function was between 800 and 900, and the following were the principal Lodges represented:-

The Lodge of Glasgow St. John No. 3bis - Hamilton Kilwinning No. 7 - St. Mary, Coltness No. 31 - New Monkland Montrose No. 88 - Cambuslang Royal Arch No. 114 - Airdrie St. John No. 166 - Old Monkland St. James No. 177 - The Operative Lodge of Airdrie No. 203 - St. Andrew  No. 215 - Hamilton No. 233 - Woodhall St. John's No. 305 - St. Thomas, Larkhall No. 306 - St. Clair No. 427 - St. John, Shotts No. 471 - St. Andrew, Coatbridge No. 544 - Clydesdale, Larkhall No. 551 - Clydesdale (Glasgow) No. 556 -   Blantyre Kilwinning No.557 - Livingstone, Stonefield No. 599.


Article reproduced from the " Hamilton Advertiser " dated 15th June 1901




On Saturday afternoon, in glorious weather and amid pomp and pageantry, the memorial stone of the new Masonic Hall which is being erected jointly by the two local lodges, St. John Dalzell No. 406 and Livingstone St. Andrew No.573, was laid by Brother Colonel R.K.Stewart, Provincial Grand Master of the Middle Ward of Lanarkshire. The Lodges met in the Town Hall, and accompanied by three brass bands marched through the principal streets of the town, attracting much attention en route. On arriving in Hope Street, the various junior lodges formed open order, and permitted the Provincial Grand Office-bearers to pass through to a platform within the building. The Grand Master having been presented with an ivory handled silver trowel and a mallet, the ceremony commenced, and ended with the singing of "Rule Britannia". The musical part of the ceremonial was rendered by Brother Burness's choir, conducted by Brother Dixon, and Brother Burness at the organ. At the conclusion of the ceremony, the procession was reformed, and marched to the Town Hall, where the visiting lodges were served with cake and wine.  Councillor Brother Frood presided, and a toast list was gone through. The Halls, which are to be three storeys in height, are from plans by Brother J.L. Cowan, architect, Glasgow, and are to cost £ 3,500.


After eighteen months of construction the Halls were completed and ready for their intended purpose. Along with the Architects drawing shown, the following report appeared in the Motherwell Times, Friday March 21st, 1902.




On Tuesday evening the new Masonic Halls, Hope Street, were opened and consecrated by Brother R.K. Stewart of Murdostoun, Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master of the Middle Ward of Lanarkshire, and the Office Bearers of the Lodge. There was a large attendance of the Brethren of the local Lodges and deputation’s from all the Lodges of the Middle Ward of Lanarkshire, and also from other Lodges. The consecration took place at seven p.m. in the Lodge Room, Brother R. King Stewart in the chair, supported by  Reverend  Brother A. Robertson, Hamilton, Provincial Grand Chaplain; Brother Colonel J.C. Kay, P.G.D.M.; Brother William McMurdo, P.M. 305 P.P.G.J. W., and other Provincial Grand Lodge Brethren. After prayer, etc. by Provincial Grand Chaplain, Brother Stewart called upon Brother McMurdo to give the oration, which was delivered in an excellent manner which proved to the Brethren present that their old and much respected Brother was still as fit as ever to pour forth the true principles of Freemasonry. After the sacred and solemn music had been sung by the choir and the Brethren, Brother Stewart proceeded with the consecrating of the Lodge room with corn, wine, and oil, which part was carried out by him and his Wardens in very able and effective manner. Thereafter the P. G. Chaplain gave the closing prayer, and the Lodge was closed in due and ancient form. This now brought the ceremony to a close by the Brethren singing the Hundredth Psalm, and they were assisted by the Provincial Grand Organist, Brother Thomas Dixon, Coatbridge, who presided at the organ.Immediately after the above, the Brethren met in the large hall, and about 300 sat down to tea which was purveyed by Brother T. Robertson in an excellent style. Brother Frood, I.P.M. 573, chairman of the building committee presided. After tea the following toast list was gone through:-"King and Craft" proposed by the chairman; "Grand Lodges",proposed by Brother H. Dyer, P.G.S.W., and replied to by Brother R. King Stewart; "Provincial Grand Lodge of the Middle Ward of Lanarkshire" proposed by Brother Black I.P.M. 406 and replied to by Brother Colonel Spence P.G.L.; "Visiting Brethren" proposed by Brother R. Campbell, R.W.M. 573 replied to by Brother Walker R.W.M., 203 and Brother Stronach, R.W.M. 579; "Local Lodges", proposed by Brother Walker, R.W.M. 203, and replied to by Brother Borland R.W.M. 406 and Brother Campbell, R.W.M. 573; "Architects and Contractors" proposed by Brother Frood I.P.M. 573, and replied to by Brother J.L. Cowan P.M. 3 bis., and Brother Miller 406; "Building Committee" proposed by Brother Cowan and replied to by Brother McKean P.M. 406. Brother H. Dyer in an able manner, proposed a vote of thanks to the chairman, which was heartily given, and Brother Frood thanked the stewards on behalf of the Brethren for the efficient way they had discharged their duties. Songs were rendered by Brothers Moore, Foulds, Mason, Christie and MacLean, and musical selections by the Grant family, Airdrie, were very much appreciated. Brothers Dixon and Burness presided at the piano. The building Committee are to be congratulated on the success of the opening of their new halls, as it will long be remembered by the Brethren of Motherwell as one of the most important and successful events ever held.The new Masonic Halls, which are situated in Hope Street, which like many of our finest buildings are situated off the main thoroughfare, are very conveniently situated near the railway station.The halls have been erected by the two Lodges here, namely, "Lodge Livingstone St. Andrew, No.573" and "Lodge St. John DaIzell No.406".On the ground floor the entrance hall is large and spacious, with floor laid with terrazzo, and tiled around the wall. Adjoining this is a large reading room. As you proceed up the tiled staircase on the first flat you enter the large banquet hall which is splendidly fitted up for socials, marriage parties or dances, with gallery and artistes rooms; also a kitchen conveniently situated for bakers, and purveyors. On the second flat we come to the janitor’s house and the entrance to the gallery. On the top flat there is the Lodge Room fitted and finished with every modern convenience, adjoining this there is a smaller hall and ante-room for friendly societies of all kinds. The latest improvements have been secured for the lavatories, and the whole building has been fitted up with electric light. The following are the names of the contractors who have carried throughout he work, under the supervision of Brother J.L. Cowan I.A., Glasgow— Mason, Alexander Sym; Joiner, Thomas Miller; Plasterer, James Craig; Plumber, John Alston; Painter, A. Kemp; Slater, James Thompson; Tiles, Haddow & Co, Glasgow; Heating, Hamilton & Co.; Electric light, Reid & Co.Both Lodges are to be congratulated on the completion of their efforts to provide suitable quarters for their meetings and not a little of the success of the undertaking is due to Brother J.Black of Lodge St. John Dalzell and Brother J. Frood of Lodge Livingstone St. Andrew on whom the bulk of the labour and responsibility of the last twelve or eighteen months, and to these gentlemen it must be a source of satisfaction to see such a successful end to their labours.

The Halls, we understand, are now available for use, and any information regarding them may be had from the secretary, Brother John Black, 70 1/2 Merry Street, Motherwell.


Hallfront.jpg (57764 bytes)

This original Architect's drawing was scanned, and enhanced by Brother Ian Gray.




HallB.jpg (34608 bytes)


The years have not been kind, and in all honesty it was never

a pretty building.