Date of Charter

2nd August 1875














The Silver Jubilee - The Masonic Hall - The Great War.

11th January 1900. The committee who were in charge of the proposed new hall gave a report of their deliberations, and recommended the Lodge to invest all their funds ( £ 300 ) in this new venture. This was approved at a meeting of the Lodge on 1st February, and power was granted to proceed with erection of a hall on a site in Hope Street.

6th September. The 25th Anniversary of the Lodge was celebrated with the Brethren meeting in the Lodge-room at a Harmony, when 93 Brethren signed the attendance book. On this occasion Brother William McMurdo, P.M. Lodge No. 305, proposed the future success of Lodge No. 573. Brother James Mason, the first Master, Brother Henry Dyer, P.M., and Brother Alexander Anderson, P.M., replied on behalf of the Lodge. Deputations were present from the following Lodges —Woodhall St. John's, No. 305, with Brother John Macpherson, R.W.M., St. James, No. 177, with Brother Thomas Dickson, R.W.M., St. John Dalzell, No. 406, with Brother John Black, R.W.M.

30th November. The following Brethren of Lodge No. 406 were recommended for their zeal in Masonry and admitted as Honorary Members:- Brother John Black, R.W.M., Brother Archibald King, P.M., Brother Alexander Fraser, P.M., Brother Thomas Thomson, P.M., and Brother William McKean, P.M.

February 1901. The Lodge went into mourning for the death of our late Queen Victoria.

4th April. The Lodge agreed to raise the Initiation Fee from £2 2/-, to £2 12s 6d.

8th June. The Brethren met in the Town Hall at 2.30 p.m. for the purpose of assisting the Provincial Grand Lodge in laying the Memorial Stone of the new Masonic Hall in Hope Street, conjointly with the Brethren of Lodge St. John Dalzell, No. 406. Provincial Grand Lodge was opened in the Lesser Town Hall by Brother Colonel Robert King Stewart, and the Provincial Office-bearers. The Lodge was adjourned, marshalled in procession, and paraded the principal streets, accompanied by three bands, before going to Hope Street, where the ceremony was carried out to the Ancient Customs of the Masonic Fraternity.The laying of the Memorial Stone was done by Brother Colonel Robert King Stewart, Provincial Grand Master, and the musical part of the ceremony was rendered by Brother T. Burness’s choir, Brother Burness officiating at the organ.After the ceremony the Brethren returned to the Town Hall, where a Cake and Wine Banquet was held. The day was good, and a large number of the Brethren of both Lodges, accompanied by Brethren from all parts of the Province, attended, the number being estimated at between six, and seven hundred.

12th September. A petition from a number of Master Masons who were desirous of opening a Lodge in the rising village of New Stevenston, near Holytown, to be called "Robert King Stewart," was signed by the R.W.M. and Wardens. The deputation who were present with the petition were wished every success.

3rd October. A further sum of £100, making £400, was invested in the new Masonic Hall, Hope Street.

18th March 1902. The Consecration and Dedication of the new Hall in Hope Street took place, when the Provincial Grand Lodge met in the new Hall and went through the ceremony in a very capable manner. The oration was given by Brother William McMurdo, P.P.G.J.W., and much appreciated by the Brethren present. Brother Colonel Robert King Stewart, Provincial Grand Master, complimented the Brethren of both Lodges on the magnificent building which had been erected, and wished them every success.

20th March. The Lodge held its first meeting in the new Hall, when Bro. Charles Campbell, R.W.M., conferred the Mark Degree on a number of Brethren. On the following evening, the Lodge celebrated its annual Social and Dance, which proved a great success, sixty couples taking part.

5th June. A further sum of £250 was invested in the new Masonic Hall.

6th July. A deputation of the Brethren, accompanied by a similar deputation of Lodge No. 406, attended at the laying of a Memorial Stone at the new Masonic Hall of Lodge Woodhall St. John's, No. 305, BelIshill.

26th January 1903. A concert under the auspices of the two Lodges in the town was held in the Town Hall, the proceeds of which went to aid the distressed in the Milton Street district, caused by the closing of the Motherwell Iron Works.

3rd December. The Lodge considered a Memorandum issued by Grand Lodge for information to Masonic Lodges, meeting in Scotland, relative to the effect of the Licensing Act, 1903, when, after a full consideration of the Act, it was agreed to limit Lodge refreshments (absolutely excluding exciseable liquors), and a copy of same is inserted in the minute of this date. At the same meeting it was agreed to introduce the Musical Service at the various Degrees.

23rd January 1904. A deputation of the Brethren attended at the laying of the Memorial Stone of the new Masonic Temple of Lodge Royal Arch, No. 114, Cambuslang.

5th May. Grand Lodge intimated that the minimum fee for Initiation would now be £3 3/- in all Lodges.

As the duties of the Committee appointed by the Lodge for the erection of the Hall had now come to an end, a new Committee "consisting of the R.W.M., S. and J. Wardens, Secretary and Treasurer, and two Brethren to be appointed annually", was appointed to act along with a similar committee of Lodge St. John DaIzell, No. 406, for the management of the Halls.

17th September. The next item of importance was the laying of the Memorial Stone of the Public Library in Clyde Street. On this occasion there was a joint Lodge of St. John DaIzell, No. 406, and Lodge Livingstone St. Andrew, No. 573, with Brother Alexander Findlay, M.P., M.M. Lodge Irvine St. Andrews, No. 149, acting as Right Worshipful Master. The Office-bearers were selected from the R.W.M.s., P.M.s, Wardens and Brethren of both Lodges. The Brethren met in the Lodge-room, then paraded the principal streets (headed by the Motherwell Silver Band and Coltness Silver Band) before they arrived at the building in Clyde Street, where the Memorial Stone was truly laid with Masonic honours by Brother Alexander Findlay, M.P. There was a very large turnout of the Brethren, and visitors.

3rd February 1905. A deputation of the Brethren went to Blantyre for the Consecration of the new Temple of Lodge Livingstone, No. 599.

28th January 1909. Special reference was made to the death of Brother William McMurdo, P.M., Lodge Woodhall St. John's, No. 305, janitor of the Halls, and a faithful servant to "573", and the Fraternity. The funeral was attended by over 400.

3rd February 1910. The R.W.M. reported that at a meeting of Grand Lodge of this date it was agreed to reconstruct Grand Lodge Halls in Edinburgh at a cost of £30,000.

10th May. Grand Lodge ordered a six month period of mourning for the death of His Most Gracious Majesty King Edward VII ("The Peacemaker," and Patron of Scottish Masonry).

1st December. It was agreed that no Office-bearer should hold office for a longer period than two years, with the exception of Secretary, Treasurer, Organist and Tyler.

2nd March 1911. It was agreed, on the motion of Brother Henry Dyer, P.M., Secretary, to procure Mark Master Tokens or Mark Pennies, and charge sixpence each for them, the proceeds to go to the Benevolent Fund of the Lodge.

28th April. The Memorial Stone of the New Halls of the Grand Lodge of Scotland was laid with full Masonic Honours, and this Lodge was represented on that occasion by Brother William Whyte, I.P.M.

2nd May. The Brethren turned out in large numbers, along with the Brethren of Lodge No. 406, to welcome the Duke of Connaught, Grand Master Mason of England, who was on a visit to Lord Hamilton of DaIzell.

5th October. The Lodge granted its support to a number of Brethren who were petitioning for a Charter for a new Lodge in Cleland.

6th March 1913. The Lodge granted a subscription of £3 3/- to a fund for the Endowment of the Blantyre Accident Hospital, in memory of the centenary of the birth of Dr. David Livingstone, after whom the Lodge took its name.

7th May 1914. The Lodge agreed, along with Lodge No. 406, to grant the Halls Committee, power to make certain structural alterations to the Hall at a cost of £100, the same to be paid from the Reserve Fund of the Halls Committee, and also to clear off the sum of £1,000 as part of a Bond on the Halls (£500 from each Lodge), leaving £1,000 of a bond still on the Halls.

3rd September. The sum of £10 was granted to the Prince of Wale's National Relief War Fund.

During the following few years, scarcely a meeting passed without some Brother being given a send-off to some of the different regiments, to serve his King and country in the great struggle for right between the nations of Europe, Asia, and America.

15th May 1915. Brother Robert King Stewart, Grand Master Mason of Scotland, presented through Brother David Reid, Grand Secretary, his photograph in full Masonic costume, and was thanked for his handsome gift.

1st June 1916. The final bond of £1,000 (£500 from each Lodge) was agreed to be paid to the Halls Committee. The Hall being now clear from debt, and both Lodges in a very healthy state financially.

2nd November. At the annual meeting, it was agreed to hold our Regular Meetings on the First, and Third Thursdays of each month.

13th January 1917. A Special Meeting of the Lodge was held for the purpose of doing honour to Brother Henry Dyer, P.M., Secretary (some 250 Brethren and visitors being present). Brother John Frood, P.M., after paying a high tribute to the good work done by Brother Henry Dyer for Lodge 573 and Freemasonry in the Province of Lanarkshire (M.W.) and throughout the country, also his services to the community as a member of the Motherwell Town Council, Dalziel Parish Council, Dalziel School Board and the old Parochial Board, presented him with a Masonic ring and scarf pin, also a leather case containing £100, as a token of affection, esteem and respect from his Masonic Brethren, also a wristlet watch for his daughter. Brother Dyer (who was just recovering from a severe illness), in thanking the Brethren for their kindness, recalled many incidents in the early days of Lodge No. 573, and was pleased that the Brethren had now a "home" of their own, free from debt, and in a sound financial position.Brother Henry Dyer had not long to enjoy his gifts, for in the following month the Great Architect of the Universe thought fit to call His servant to His immediate presence and pronounce on him His benediction: "Well done, thou good and faithful servant, enter now into the joy of thy Lord".The Lodge had scarcely revived from the shock caused by the death of Brother Henry Dyer, when it had to withstand another, namely, the death of our Right Worshipful Master, Brother John Stevenson Semple, after a lingering illness. Thus, within a fortnight the Lodge had lost its two principal Office-bearers, its R.W.M. and its Secretary. It was a severe trial for any Lodge to withstand, yet the Brethren rallied round the Immediate Past Master in a manner that made the year 1917 one of the most prosperous in its history. Brother George Grant Dey was appointed to the office of Secretary, while Brother Archibald Williams, I.P.M., carried through the duties of the R.W.M. to the end of the year.

28th February 1918. A Memorial Sevrice was held in the Lodge in memory of Brother John S. Semple, R.W.M., Brother Henry Dyer, P.M. Secretary, and several Brethren who had fallen in the Great War. The service was conducted by Brother Reverend T. Harkness Graham, M.M. of Lodge St. John Bis, No 3, who paid a high tribute to the memory of Brother Henry Dyer, P.M.

4th July. It was agreed to raise the initiation fee to £5 5/-, and on the same day Life Membership at £2 2/- came into force, with the Bye-laws adjusted accordingly.

11th October 1919. The Lodge showed its appreciation to the Brethren who had served in the War by inviting them to a special welcome "At Home". Almost 300 of the Brethren of the Lodge had answered the call, and 16 of them had not returned.

15th April 1920. A letter was received from a number of Brethren in the town who were desirous of obtaining a Charter for a new Lodge to be called "Motherwell Caledonian". It received the approbation and good wishes of Lodge No. 573.

27th April. Brother Sir Robert King Stewart, Provincial Grand Master, presented a cup to be competed for annually among the Lodges in the Province for bowling.

11th November. Congratulations were sent from the Lodge to Brother John Frood, P.M., on being appointed the first Provost of the United Burghs of Motherwell and Wishaw.

26th November. The sum of £25 was granted to the Scottish War Memorial Fund.

3rd February 1921. The sum of £26 was granted to Motherwell War Memorial Fund.

5th May. A sum of £20 was granted to the Local Unemployed Fund.

1st December. The sum of £10 10/- was granted to the Motherwell Nursing and Ambulance Association, who were at this time in very much need of money, owing to the continued unemployment.

23rd April 1922. A special meeting of the Lodge saw the unveiling of the Tablet in memory of the 16 Brethren of the Lodge, who had made the supreme sacrifice in the great European War. The meeting was attended by over 400 Brethren, when Brother John Frood, P.M., in very appropriate terms, made reference to the great sacrifice these Brethren had made on our behalf, and expressed the sympathy of the Brethren to their relatives and friends.Brother Reverend T. F. Harkness Graham dedicated the Memorial by prayer, and afterwards made a most powerful appeal to the Brethren to uphold the principles of the Craft for which these Brethren had given their lives. The Tablet, which is of bronze, is erected in the East of the Lodge, and cost £70. A similar Tablet was also erected by our Sister Lodge, No. 406.

2nd November. Brother John Frood, P.M., Provost, was called by the Great Architect of the Universe to that Celestial Lodge above to rest from his labours here below. The funeral, which was a public one, and under the superintendence of the Town Council, was attended by a very large number of the Brethren and of the general public. He died as he had lived: "serving the public."

30th January 1923. Those Brethren interested in the formation of a Lodge Choir met and completed arrangements. Brother John McCombe was appointed its first conductor. The Choir met every Tuesday for practice. They made rapid progress, and their services were much sought by Sister Lodges and other benevolent workers. In 1925 the conductorship was taken over by Brother Cairns, and under his care maintained a high standard of efficiency.

23rd February 1924. The Lodge Choir ran a very successful concert, which resulted in the sum of £10 being handed over to the Benevolent Fund of the Lodge.


Chapter 3